Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Going Home Again

I have heard it said that “you can’t go home again.” I’ve always thought it was kind of a silly saying, since you obviously can; just get in the car and drive there. It’s a lot shorter and catchier, however, than saying something like “don’t expect everything to be exactly the same ten years later as they were when you were a kid. The world is in a state of constant change, and does not respect your childhood memories."


Moving back to the neighborhood where I spent so many years growing up is a bit weird. The streets, buildings, and trees are all generally in the same places, though a bit run down occasionally. The surprising changes come in the local businesses. When my family first moved into this area, there were three gas stations within a block of us. Now there’s just one, but it’s gotten a face lift. They knocked down the old building and built a brand new one. It’s nice, but it’s not the same, and I do a double take every time I drive through that intersection.


Despite the changes, it is still a nice neighborhood, and will be a good place for my kids to grow and play, with several schools close by, in addition to parks and a place to swim.


We’ll have to go somewhere new for ice cream, though, since the place where we used to get 31 original flavors is now a gym for dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment