Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Pumpkin-Carriageless

It was 1 am and I was walking down the middle of the street lopsided. It would have been more comfortable to remove my remaining shoe, but they had been my favorite pair. But I guess you can't have a favorite pair of shoes if there's only one left.
I had begun the night like Cinderella getting ready for the ball. I was fluttering with excitement, nervous to finally be going on a date with Craig, the guy I had been crushing on for months. But it turns out that daydreaming about a man does not necessarily make him your Prince Charming.
It wasn’t that Craig was boring, or rude, or unintelligent. The night didn't go the way I had hoped it would because we had absolutely nothing in common. He didn’t seem that interested in hearing about my vintage lunchbox collection and I had trouble keeping up with the Gardening 101 lecture he gave me. By the end of the night I was so disappointed that I agreed to his suggestion that we go dancing just to liven things up. "At least he's spontaneous," I thought, "and maybe this way we'll actually have a good time!"
But it was not meant to be. Due to the hazardous combination of my two left feet, an overcrowded club, and the unlucky star I had apparently been born under, Craig and I managed to fall down, bash our heads together, and lose one of my shoes within 30 seconds of stepping onto the dance floor.
So that's why I was wandering alone in the dark, partially unshod, completely pumpkin-carriageless. It wasn’t my fault that my night was terrible. It wasn’t Craig’s fault. It wasn’t even the fault of the mutual friend who fixed us up. Sometimes things just don’t go the way you hoped they would. Not everyone meets their Prince Charming at the ball; sometimes you have to wait a while for him to appear. Life is not a fairy tale. Sometimes, if you lose your shoe at midnight, chances are you’re walking home barefoot.

This isn't a writing prompt, but I can treat it that way if I want!
This image is from Pinup Girl Clothing's facebook page, where they are
constantly sharing images of their lovely dresses, fancy accessories,
and gorgeous shoes (like these)!

No comments:

Post a Comment