Tuesday, April 3, 2012

It Begins

Every so often, when my husband & I go out to dinner, the topic of conversation turns to “what I/we should/could be doing with my/our life/lives.”  He usually laments the fact that he is 28 years old, has a Bachelor’s degree, is using said Bachelor’s degree, and is making good money while also loving his job, all because he does not have his Master’s/PhD yet and also is still paying off the student loans accrued while getting our Bachelor’s degrees. So downtrodden. Eventually, near the end, this conversation includes a variation of the same comment: “I’m so mad at you, JR [his best friend], and Darren [another friend]! You HAVE all this talent for writing, but you NEVER DO.”


Tonight, this comment was followed with the usual dodgings and lame excuses by my dodging lame self.  However, my husband won the day by driving home the point: “There are a lot of people a lot less talented than you making money with their writing.”


I was quiet for a while, thinking, “nah, that’s not true, I mean, there ARE quite a few people out there that suck but still make money, but there are a ton more who are totally awesome... on the scale from bleh to awesome, I’m closer to ‘bleh’ than ‘awesome...’”


And then I thought, “maybe I’m not.”


So I told him I would start a blog, and write in it every day. As I was dinking around on the internet, or getting my daughters ready for bed, or putting ingredients in the crock pot for dinner tomorrow, I kept getting ideas for things I want to write about. I’m pretty excited. And if you haven’t stopped reading by now, I’m betting you might be too.

1 comment:

  1. I'm proud of you and want to encourage you to keep up the good work! I'm excited to see what you have to say.

    ReplyDelete