Friday, February 8, 2013

Percentages

I found this picture (rather unsurprisingly)
on facebook this morning. It was just
sitting there, accusing me of goofing off.

Sometimes I think I should time myself. Really find out how much time goes by from the moment I start writing in the morning until I post it on my blog.
I usually start out with an idea, compose the introduction in my head, and then get to it as soon as I can, before it’s gone from the place in my head where I keep introductions. Then I get to the main body just as I hit a good stride, saying the things I want to say, and then I completely halt the creative process by going to see if any of my friends have posted anything on facebook about their kids, their job, or what they had for lunch.
I continue in that for a lot longer than I realize, and by the time I get tired of hearing about the antics of college students and think, “what was I doing?” anywhere from 45 minutes to two hours can have flown by. Sometimes my kids have to interrupt me with their needs to end my lollygagging.
If being a good writer is 3% talent and 97% not being distracted by the internet, I think I need to work harder to change that percentage. My writing would be more talent if I was less distracted by the internet. After all, being distracted will always be there when I’m done using my talents to be awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment