Monday, July 7, 2014

Can't Stop

In high school my friends and I used to say, “the only time laughing hysterically isn’t fun is when you can’t stop.” As young people, we enjoyed laughing together, sometimes just for laughter’s sake. I don’t have as many of those hysterical laugh attacks as I used to now that I’m an adult. This could just be because I don’t hang out with my high school friends daily like I used to, but I think it’s probably more due to the fact that I am an “adult” now, and I realize that while rolling on the floor laughing may be fun, it doesn’t make me look terribly mature.
But sometimes I can’t help it.
“Madam, this is a glorious hedgehog goulash. I can’t remember ever having had better.”
My husband had to pause the movie.
One witty line from Robert Downy Jr. and I was laughing so hard I couldn’t breathe.
Laughter is good for the soul. People should laugh more. It’s why I like to watch or read comedies: romantic comedies, action movies with plenty of comedy, and stupid movies that have nothing but comedy.
However, since I was sick last week with a cough that I’m still trying to shake, laughing hysterically isn’t really as amusing as it could be. My body reads laughing as “lung upheaval” and the cough thinks it’s a perfect time to join in. So between enjoyable peals of laughter, I had to endure several rounds of coughing. It didn’t stop me from laughing, it just paused my fun for a while.
“I think I changed my mind,” I told my husband as we took a break from the movie to get some ice cream (throat soothing? Yes, but mostly it tastes good). “The only time laughing hysterically isn’t fun is when you can’t stop coughing.”

No comments:

Post a Comment