Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Things That Make Me Giggle: Nice!™

This is Walgreens’ new in-house brand. It makes me giggle.


An in-house brand is an off brand produced by a store and offered for a cheaper price than the fancy brand name products. Target’s in-house brand is Archer Farms, Best Choice and Always Save belong to Russ’ IGA, and you can find Our Family at Sunmart. Other establishments are a bit more honest about it, Kroger’s companies (including Smith’s, King Soopers, Fred Meyer, Fry’s, and Baker’s) sell an off brand simply called Kroger; Super Saver and Hy Vee also have in-house brands named after the store itself.
The thing that makes me giggle about this brand is not the name of it (though that is a bit silly, in my opinion), and it’s not the packaging (which will probably stand out on the shelves much more than whatever in-house brand they had before). The thing that makes me giggle about it is the little ™ behind the name.


“Nice!™”


What makes me giggle is that unless you look really carefully, the ™ looks like an asterisk.


“Nice!*”


What makes me giggle is that the first time I glanced at an advertisement for this brand, I read the ™ as an asterisk and my internal narrator spouted off, in the-fine-print-at-the-end-of-a-radio-commercial style, “Product is not actually nice. Product is quite rude. Do not buy product if you are looking for some simple kindness. Product will abuse you to your face. Product will insult your mother, and still sleep well at night after doing so. Product is actually rather badly behaved.”


And from now on, whenever I see a package of anything that is this brand, I will think of this and giggle.


And that’s what makes me giggle.

No comments:

Post a Comment