Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Work, Work, Work

A crafter’s work is never done.


Centuries ago, upper-class women spent their time in leisure: reading, doing charitable work, attending parties, and constantly making things. A quiet evening at home would be spent chatting or sitting quietly, but it was always accompanied by work of some kind, whether it was needlework, carpet-making, sewing, or knitting.


Women today do all of these things for fun (and I’m sure men do, too, although I haven’t heard of many that do). Many crafters have more than one crafting hobby; some of them both knit and crochet, or they make paper and soap, or they decorate cakes and put together silk flower arrangements.


It doesn’t matter what a crafter is doing, has done, or is planning to do. There’s always a project close to being finished, one that’s just begun, and another that’s in the planning stages.


I’m always sad when I finish a project. Especially if it’s a blanket or scarf (or something with yarn), I get into a routine when making it; I sit somewhere specific every time I’m working on it, or I watch or listen to something in the background. When I’m finished, that part of my day gets removed from the routine, and everything seems like it’s thrown off.


It’s a sad feeling.


But it’s exciting to start a new project, even if it’s completely different from the one I just finished. Soon I’ll have to start thinking about what to do next...

Thank you, Leftover Yarnghan, for hanging out with me while I watched the entirety of Downton Abbey like 8 times. I hope you live up to your purpose and make the bed in my mother’s guest room nice and snuggly warm in the winter time. You will be missed.


No comments:

Post a Comment