Friday, November 2, 2012

Time to Crochet! Week 4

This weekend I got back to my roots and taught my cousins how to make hemp necklaces. One of them was doing a project on wampum (and had procrastinated until the day before it was due) and thought that something with hemp would make a good visual aid. We worked feverishly for about an hour, stopping to add beads, or to make sure everything was correct (mostly, “Triciaaa... I messed up, how do I fix it?”). When we were finished, I told them, “Don’t you dare start making these for your friends, I’ve got a million at home.”


Yesterday evening, I dug out some embroidery floss and made a new jangly thing for my phone. I’ve had a little charm on a cord fastened to my phone for as long as I’ve had my phone (probably when I had my previous phone, even), and earlier this weekend, the cord broke for the final time. I’ve been able to fix it before, but not this time. I was very sad, and I had considered finding some embroidery floss to make a hemp necklace style cord to hold the charm on, but hadn’t gotten around to it. I wasn’t sure I’d be able to remember exactly how, after so many years of not using the skills, but after sitting down to teach my cousins, I was able to show them how to do it like I’d never stopped. So now, my phone has a charm dangling from it again, with the added bonus of my having made it myself.


But back to crocheting.


The party hats were a hit at my family’s annual October birthday party this year. And by “hit,” I mean, 
“people occasionally noticed they were sitting there, and laughed at them.” I wasn’t expecting anyone to actually wear them, but the fact that we put them on one another’s heads and giggled at each other a couple of times was enough for me.


I started on a tiger hat, and my daughter, as she always does, asked me what I was making. I asked her what she thought it was, and even though I was only about four rows into it, she declared that it was a “tiger hat! tiger hat!” Orange and black stripes are pretty recognizable, I guess. The orange is pretty bright, though, if I’d asked anyone else what they thought it was, they’d probably come up with some answer having to do with Halloween. If I were going to recommend this pattern to anyone else, I’d start by telling them to choose a different shade of orange than Red Heart Pumpkin.


I’m planning on a pumpkin hat, though, so it’ll be perfect for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment