Friday, November 16, 2012

Time to Crochet! Week 5

This week I tried to make sense of a pattern. The finished product will be a little crown; it’s just a basic headband with pointy bits sticking out of the top at intervals. I like to have something nice and easy to crochet while I’m relaxing, something complicated enough to make me think about it a bit but not so confusing that I couldn’t tell exactly where I am in the pattern if I happen to turn my attention to something else for a while.


This was not one of those patterns.


By about the fifth time I had taken it apart enough to know exactly where I was in order to start again, my laptop, which was displaying the pattern for me while running on its battery as it sat on the table in front of me, chose to power down. I growled a bit and decided I’d go get the power cord in a minute, but didn’t put the yarn down. In fact, I kept going, only to discover that all of the taking apart and putting back together and taking apart again had only helped me to memorize the pattern.


Once I had memorized it, I had no problem paying attention to other things as I crocheted. All I needed was something to remind me if I was working on row 10 or row 14. To finish, I just need to lasso my child to stand in place for long enough to see if it’ll fit on her head.


It will be my crowning achievement.

No comments:

Post a Comment