Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Appointment Alternatives

This morning I dreamed that I was at the doctor trying to schedule some kind of a procedure. There were all kinds of conflicts with my work and holiday plans, and finally the doctor suggested an alternate plan: he pulled up a webpage and presented it to me. "Uh," I said, "I don't really want to drive all the way to Omaha just for dance lessons."

After eating breakfast with my daughters, I settled in to my morning routine of letting my mind wander while considering what to write about (in other words, I was playing a video game). Suddenly, the phone rang. It was the dentist's office.

Disaster! I had completely forgotten the appointment that was supposed to have started two minutes before the phone rang. "Well, get here as soon as you can, and we'll see if we can get both of you in."

It turns out that "as soon as you can" is quite a while, between getting properly dressed and finding shoes and brushing teeth and putting hair up and trying to get the car started in the cold and buckling seatbelts and figuring out the best way to get there.

My daughter got her teeth cleaned, but we had to reschedule my appointment. At least they didn't suggest the alternative option as dance lessons in Omaha.

No comments:

Post a Comment