Thursday, May 8, 2014

Thursday in History: Sendakian

My childhood would have been different without Maurice Sendak. His interesting illustrations gave form to my imagination while reading Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, and when I close my eyes, I can see every one of the pictures (one for every month of the year) in Chicken Soup With Rice. My husband and I read the Little Bear books to our children, and laugh about the folding chair in Pierre.
The famous author died on this day in 2012, and my kids are celebrating his life by making mischief of one kind and another. They’re roaring their terrible roars and gnashing their terrible teeth and showing their terrible claws.
And if I can settle the Wild Rumpus down, we’re going to read some of his wonderful contributions to the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment