Friday, May 4, 2012

Days of the Week

“It must be Thursday,” said Arthur to himself, sinking low over his beer. “I could never get the hang of Thursdays.” - Douglas Adams; Chapter 2, The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
There are times these days when I lose track of the day of the week. I’m not living in a hole with no access to the sun or anything, it’s just that the days that are in the middle of the week tend to blur together, so on Tuesday I’m already thinking about what I want to do on Friday, and I can’t remember whether it’s Wednesday or, wait, was yesterday just Monday?

In college it was easier to keep track of what day it was, because I’d have certain classes on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, and different classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I also had a very vigorous work schedule which might see me racing from class on Wednesday to work for two short hours at the local fast food place and then bolt down some food as I zoomed off to my next class, then back to work after a couple of hours of downtime (which were meant to be used for studying but were usually spent reading webcomics) for the rest of the night and into the early hours of the morning.

Thursday has always been my favorite day. It’s close to the end of the week, but not too close, so you can still get a table at a restaurant without having to wait for forty-five minutes. Thursday was also one of the days in college that I had the history of Germany until 1919, which was the one class that semester that I got an A (and the rest were Fs).

These days, I get to hang out with my daughters (and write while they’re napping) all week and wait for the weekend, when we get to enjoy my husband’s company. I never had to experience Sunday Evening Sadness this way before, knowing that tomorrow was Monday and that means back to work. The reason was because I usually worked on Saturday, all day and all night, and so there was just enough time to appreciate Sunday that I didn’t have any time to be sad that tomorrow was Monday. The weekends go by so fast now that the day I really get to rest is usually Monday, when all the weekend craziness is over.

Even though I might lose track of which one is which in the middle of the week, I appreciate every day. Even Mondays, and especially Fridays.

Have a good weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment