Monday, September 10, 2012

OMGBBQ

I like ribs. I love wings. But I don’t like barbecue sauce.


I once went with my friends to Famous Dave’s, looked the server straight in the eye, and said, “Do you have anything that doesn’t have barbecue sauce?” I ended up eating a bowl of cinnamon apples.


I don’t have any excuses. I just don’t like it. This isn’t a plea for help or a request for a recipe that will change my mind. I don’t like it, and it’s more than likely going to stay that way.


I’d much rather do something interesting with ribs (like make them awesome in the crock pot) or make up my own way of preparing wings (a bunch of parmesan cheese out of the shaker, some garlic salt from the grinder, toss together with chicken and bake = better than BW3).


Aside from the fact that I don’t like the taste, barbecue sauce just seems lazy to me. I know you can make it from scratch, but most people buy it from the bottle because it’s easier. I’d rather experiment with an interesting marinade, whether I follow a recipe or play the “what could we toss in a bag with this chicken” game.


Another thing that annoys me is the spelling. Is it “barbeCue,” or “barbeQue?" dictionary.reference.com is unhelpful, each word references the other and they have the same definition. The only clue it gives is in the origin, where it tells that “barbecue” is from the Spanish “barbacoa,” which is a word they stole from a group native to Haiti, who used a similar word to describe a raised wooden contraption that could either be slept on or utilized to cure meat. (Kind of like the way we use “bed” to mean either something you sleep on or a place where your flowers grow.)


I will conclude from this evidence that the correct spelling is “barbecue,” because the Spanish word uses a “c” and not a “q.” I can assume the confusion comes from the fact that “cue” sounds like the letter “q.” This word is truly an American word, from an American people, borrowed into one language and then borrowed into another, which most likely is the reason we can’t spell it.


I just don’t like barbecue. I won’t hold it against you if you do, though. I won’t even hold it against you if you misspell it.

No comments:

Post a Comment