Friday, January 18, 2013

The Ideal Space

Everyone dreams of the perfect space to craft in. Sewers have sewing rooms, with fancy machines and stacks of fabric. I have seen pictures of private hoards of yarn that would make some craft stores jealous. And there’s a million ideas on Pinterest for organizing and decorating your crafting space.


I'd love to have a space like this. It's clean.
Right now, my ideal crafting space would have two things: a comfortable chair and restricted
access (no tiny mess-prone persons allowed). I’m currently using the dining room table as my crafting space, but the chairs are not really worth the name and the phrase “it’s no use crying over spilt milk” doesn’t work when the spilled milk in question ruins something I’ve put hours into making. I want my own space to spread out my projects. My own shelf to store things necessary for crafting without having to worry about them being carried off or used to cut little sister’s hair.


My dad’s got an extra desk at his office, and there’s a nice writing desk waiting in my parents’ garage for me. I even have an empty room to spread out and work in. All I have to do is bring all of these things together and I’d be able to work in peace whenever I wanted, find things where I left them, and not worry about having to clean anyone else’s mess out of my own mess.


My only concern is that once (if) I do get this space put together that I’d never use it. The main reason I do my crafting at the dining room table is because I can see my children playing from where I’m sitting, I can easily get up and go do chores if I need a break, and there’s tons of light that floods in from the windows along one wall. In a room on my own, I’d always be wondering if my children were getting into mischief, I’d have to leave seclusion to get any other chores done, and I’d have to drag in all other sorts of light sources, since the room I want to use only has one tiny window.


Maybe someday I’ll have my ideal crafting space. But for now, it’s something nice to daydream about it while I try to sponge milk out of my yarn.

No comments:

Post a Comment