Friday, December 20, 2013

Piano Scarf!

My beautiful cousin is a talented musician, and it’s cold here in Nebraska. For Christmas, I thought, what better gift than a practice keyboard that will keep her warm, too? A Piano Scarf.
This is not the first time I’ve disdained a pattern in favor of winging it, but it is the first time I’ve thought substantially about what I would do before I started. I thought about how to divide the keys. I thought about how to lift up the black keys. I thought about how much yarn it would take to crochet an 88 key piano, and what to embroider above middle C. I even crocheted some gauge swatches (that part was horrible).


ch 42.
Row 1: dc in 2nd ch from hook, dc across. 40 sts.Rows 2-3: ch 2, turn, dc across.
Row 4: ch 2, turn, dc in next 5 sts, switch to white & dc in next 25 sts, switch back to black & dc in final 10 sts.
Row 5: ch 1, turn, sc in next 25 sts, switch to white & sc in next 10 sts, switch back to black & sc in final 5 sts.Row 6: ch 1, turn, sc across.
Row 7: ch 1, turn, sc in next 25 sts, switch to white & sc in next 10 sts, switch back to black & sc in final 5 sts.
Row 8: ch 2, turn, dc in next 5 sts, switch to white & dc in next 25 sts, switch back to black & dc in final 10 sts.
Row 9: ch 1, turn, sc across.
Row 10: ch 2, turn, dc in next 5 sts, switch to white & dc in next 25 sts, switch back to black & dc in final 10 sts.
Row 11: ch 1, turn, sc in next 25 sts, switch to white & sc in next 10 sts, switch back to black & sc in final 5 sts.
Row 12: ch 1, turn, sc across.
Row 13: ch 1, turn, sc in next 25 sts, switch to white & sc in next 10 sts, switch back to black & sc in final 5 sts.
Row 14: ch 1, turn, sc in next 5 sts, switch to white & sc in next 25 sts, switch back to black & sc in final 10 sts.
Row 15: ch 1, turn, sc in next 25 sts, switch to white & sc in next 10 sts, switch back to black & sc in final 5 sts.
Row 16: ch 1, turn, sc across.
Row 17: ch 1, turn, sc in next 25 sts, switch to white & sc in next 10 sts, switch back to black & sc in final 5 sts.
Row 18: ch 2, turn, dc in next 5 sts, switch to white & dc in next 25 sts, switch back to black & dc in final 10 sts.
Row 19: ch 1, turn, sc across.
Row 20: ch 2, turn, dc in next 5 sts, switch to white & dc in next 25 sts, switch back to black & dc in final 10 sts.
Row 21: ch 1, turn, sc in next 25 sts, switch to white & sc in next 10 sts, switch back to black & sc in final 5 sts.
Row 22: ch 1, turn, sc across.
Row 23: ch 1, turn, sc in next 25 sts, switch to white & sc in next 10 sts, switch back to black & sc in final 5 sts.
Row 24: ch 1, turn, sc in next 5 sts, switch to white & sc in next 25 sts, switch back to black & sc in final 10 sts.
Row 25: ch 1, turn, sc in next 25 sts, switch to white & sc in next 10 sts, switch back to black & sc in final 5 sts.
Row 26: ch 1, turn, sc across.
Row 27: ch 1, turn, sc in next 25 sts, switch to white & sc in next 10 sts, switch back to black & sc in final 5 sts.
Row 28: ch 1, turn, sc in next 5 sts, switch to white & sc in next 25 sts, switch back to black & sc in final 10 sts.
Row 29: ch 1, turn, sc across.
Row 30: ch 1, turn, sc in next 25 sts, switch to white & sc in next 10 sts, switch back to black & sc in final 5 sts.
Row 31: ch 2, turn, dc in next 5 sts, switch to white & dc in next 25 sts, switch back to black & dc in final 10 sts.
Row 32: ch 1, turn, sc across.
Rows 33-42: Repeat Rows 10-19.
Rows 43-56: Repeat Rows 20-32.
Rows 57-177-: Repeat Rows 33-56 five times.
Row 178: ch 2, turn, dc in next 5 sts, switch to white & dc in next 25 sts, switch back to black & dc in final 10 sts.
Row 179: ch 1, turn, sc in next 10 sts, switch to white & sc in next 25 sts, switch back to black & sc in final 5 sts.
Rows 180-182: ch 2, turn, dc across.
Finishing: Sc all the way around edge. Switch to white, reverse sc around edge. Fasten off and weave in ends.

You can finish it however you want, but I just recently discovered the reverse single crochet and I think it’s very pretty. I also didn’t want any dangling tassels on this scarf. Those are a ton of work, and I wanted something around the edge to fancy it up a bit.
I used all of a black 7 ounce skein of Red Heart Super Saver yarn, and then some, in addition to about three fourths of a white skein of the same size and brand. Although since I worked the yarn through instead of cutting it off every time I switched colors, I probably used more than I could have. I’m not a huge fan of weaving in ends; they always find their way back out, no matter how hard I work to hide them.
I had a good time figuring out how to put the pattern together, and writing it all down. This is a good thing, since if my cousin likes it, I may be making another soon for my brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment