Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Sealed With a Kiss

I stared at her. “What are you doing?” I asked.
“Sealing this envelope,” she replied.
“Is it a love letter or something?” I asked.
She frowned at me. “It’s the cable bill.”
I glanced at the television. “I didn’t think our cable service was that great.”
She looked confused. “What, so I shouldn’t pay the bill?”
“No, but there’s really no need to make out with it before you send it.”
“Huh?”
I sighed and asked her the question I should have started with. “Why are you kissing that envelope?”
“I told you,” she said, exasperated. “I’m sealing it. That’s how you seal an envelope: with a kiss.”
I stared at her, not knowing quite what to say.
“Isn’t… that right?” she ventured.
I opened my mouth, then closed it to keep in the laughter that was bubbling near the surface.
“Look,” I said, a couple of minutes later. “I’m pretty sure we can pay the cable bill online.”

No comments:

Post a Comment