Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Honey Bees and Honey Peas



I eat my peas with honey; I’ve done it all my life.It makes the peas taste funny, but it sticks them to my knife.-Anonymous

I can’t drink tea. I want to drink tea, but the doctor says that I shouldn’t, and if I drink it before bed, I get terrible heartburn. So I drink hot water instead. With lemon and honey (sans peas). It’s actually not bad, but not as awesome as I know that tea would be.
For boot or honey scraping purposes
There are other problems, too. Like the honey. Honey is a great sweetener, but it’s so sticky. If any gets on the jar or bottle, then the next time I pick it up I’m going to have honey on my hands. And the only way to get it off my hands once it’s on there is to scald it off with boiling water while scraping it off one one of those old style boot scrapers they keep outside the kitchen door while also simultaneously magicking it off: “Tergeo!” (That’s a Harry Potter reference, by the way.)
My husband’s grandpa kept bees, and so that’s something that my husband wants to do someday, when we have our own piece of land. He wants to be able to share honey with the people he loves, just like his grandpa did, which is awesome. But in order to get the honey, you need lots of equipment for extracting it, comb, and a box of bees.
Honeycomb
If we kept bees, we’d also need a large vegetable garden where we’d need to grow peas.

Because I really want to try that trick with the knife.

No comments:

Post a Comment