Monday, April 15, 2013

The Twitter


Ugh.
As some of you may know, I am disdainful of many things that everybody things are the new best thing ever. I don’t watch Walking Dead or listen to Justin Bieber (or whoever is cool now) or have a twitter account.
Until now.
Don’t get me wrong. I still don’t like zombies and the only person who can make me enjoy popular music is Weird Al Yankovic. But in the interests of SCIENCE, I have decided to get a twitter account to see what it’s all about.
The first snag I encountered was what my username was going to be. It says right there on the page “Don’t worry, you can change it later.” LIES. I determined that I was going to stop right there and figure out what my username was going to be before going any further. After a lengthy struggle with the character limit for usernames and various combinations, I settled on @triciaiswriting.
The main thing people do on twitter is tweet (share a short message 160 characters or less) and read other people’s tweets. To read other people’s tweets, you need to “follow” them. This is the next thing you must do after picking your username: follow like 20 people. Twitter won’t be satisfied until you sift through the long lists of actors, musicians, and atheletes and pick which ones you want to pay attention to.
Then they’ll turn you loose to find people you actually know (by importing contact lists from your email account) or to see what the popular people on twitter are talking about, or to actually post your own tweet.
My first one was, “Yes, it’s REALLY me.”
That way people will know that @triciaiswriting is the official Patricia Livermore twitter account. There’s no way anyone will be fooled by impostors now.

No comments:

Post a Comment