Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Mender


The button on my shorts fell off.
What do normal people do in this situation? I grabbed my sewing kit and lashed that sucker back on. It’s not pretty, but it’ll hold forever, or at least for a good while. And if it falls off again, I’ll still have the skills necessary to tack it back where it goes again.
Does an average person know how to reattach a button? My mom made sure I learned. I was in 4H as a kid, and while I don’t remember entering anything I had expertly stitched into any contests, the fact remains that I am able to mend clothing today.
Are tailors still in business for this sort of thing? Obviously no one has servants anymore to complete these types of tasks. Do people throw away perfectly good clothing when it tears or wears a hole through the knee or pops a button? Or does everyone in the world still know how to sew and patch their clothing, and we just never talk about it?
If nobody knows how to replace a button, then why do companies still sell shirts with
extra buttons? (image and interesting discussion found at dappered.com)
If you don’t know how, come on over to my place and I’ll fix your stuff for you. And I’ll teach you how to do it yourself.
But it’ll be up to you to thank my mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment