Tuesday, October 2, 2012

A Weekend Without

I didn’t just write a social media suicide note last week and then go about my business as usual. I stayed away from the internet. I used the computer, but it was mostly to play Sid Meier’s Civ V and some Portal. It also helped that I have a brand new nephew to go visit and adore.

I hopped on facebook yesterday morning when I finished writing. I chuckled when I saw I had 5 notifications, and remembered a picture I’d seen on my friend’s wall a while ago:

As I perused the weekend happenings of my friends, I was not surprised to find that though I’d missed a few things, none of them were things I absolutely needed to experience at the time that they were posted.

I knew I was missing out on Josh’s running facebook status commentary on the Husker game, and sure enough, there were six or seven annoyed comments just from him, and many more from the rest of my Husker fan friends.

I did not miss the political sass (from either end of the spectrum), and inevitably, since I wasn’t there to see it, my politically outgoing friends hardly posted anything this weekend.

For some reason, this was the weekend to post pictures of your kid’s new haircut. I only wish I could have posted a picture of my husband’s new haircut, but of course I can’t do that until he gets one.

And I missed all of Wil Wheaton’s vacation wrap-up tweets. The most amusing thing I discovered by paying attention to him was that he was gaming on the plane on his way home, and that he and I were probably both playing Civ at the same time.

So, all in all, nothing I really needed to know. I did grab an idea for something to write about along the way, but it was the same amount of ideas that I got over the weekend by not sitting on facebook 24/7.

The only thing I was really sad not to be a part of was my sister-in-law’s baby shower, but I was going to have to look at pictures of that after the fact anyway, since we don’t live in Colorado anymore.

Instead, I was able to spend time with my family. I played outside with my daughter, and we went on several walks around the neighborhood. I did laundry, and my kitchen is clean. I got to relax and play games. I got to watch football (but not the Broncos game, since apparently Nebraska is too far away from Colorado to allow the game to be played on television for anyone who hasn’t taken out a mortgage on their home to be able to afford NFL Sunday Ticket or the NFL channel).

My new resolution is: no social media on the weekends. One thing this weekend proved without a doubt is that I don’t need the internet.

Because the internet certainly doesn’t need me.

No comments:

Post a Comment