Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Time to Crochet! Day 1

Please excuse me while my blog becomes all about crocheting now.


Crocheted hats and other cute things like stuffed toys usually begin “in the round,” meaning the creator crochets around and around in circles until whatever they’re making looks enough like a hat (or a bunny’s head) for them to stop. Every pattern I’ve ever done this way has used the same stitch: a single crochet. But the dinosaur hat I started on yesterday used a completely different one.


With my background as a necklace maker, my tendency is to pull the yarn as tight as I possibly can, and as a result it takes me forever to make anything with a single crochet. My mother has observed that the amigurumi teacups I made could probably hold water. 

I was expecting to spend several weeks on this project, but since the pattern called for a half double crochet instead of a single crochet, I finished with the top of the hat last night, even with eating dinner, bathing children, brushing tiny teeth, and putting little ones to bed.


A half double crochet is a bit confusing to explain to non-crocheters. It’s sort of a cross between a double crochet and a single crochet. It begins like a double crochet, but ends like a single crochet. Because it’s a taller stitch than the single crochet, the creation becomes a hat much sooner. And its differences to the single crochet mean that the final product will be less... watertight. This way, the hat will feel more like a hat made of yarn and less like one made of cardboard.


This green yarn will be a dinosaur hat before I know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment