Friday, October 26, 2012

Time to Crochet! Week 3

Day 9

I was right about zipping along as soon as I’d got going. The dinosaur hat is done (it looks awesome) & so is the piggy hat (so cute)! Maybe I’ll take some pictures sometime.


Ravelry has an awesome way to keep track of the progress of a project, a place to put pictures when you’re finished, even a way to document the yarn that you’re using. I like it quite a bit.


Now I finally get to start on something new!

______________
Day 10

ZEBRA HAT.


Also, it is super easy to keep track of one’s stitch count when one is using different colored yarn for each row. I didn’t even have to use a stitch marker.

______________
Day 11

The zebra hat looks adorable. It turns out I can work up a hat in two days if A: the main body of it is put together with a half double crochet, and B: I spend an entire day just on the ears (or whatever extra attachment it requires). The reason this hat’s ears took extra long was because I had to make 2 pieces for each ear, so 4 pieces altogether. For the lamby hat, it was just the hat part and 2 ears, then I stuck the ears on the hat and I was done. For the zebra, I had to make the inner ear (a triangle) out of white yarn, and then the outer ear (a cone) out of black yarn. After that, I had to stitch the inner ear to the outer ear, fold the whole thing in half long-wise, and fasten the bottom together. The finished ear looked way more adorable than I thought it would, and much cuter than anything else I could have come up with that would have involved less work.


I had a bit of day left over after tacking the ears on the zebra hat, so I finally grabbed the rainbow yarn and started on a party hat. When I was halfway through the pattern, I stopped to check my progress. It wasn’t big enough for a Barbie doll at that point. One thing I took away from the two week long fiasco of the piggy hat was that I should follow directions and use the hook that the pattern suggests, but now I’ve decided that rule should only apply to patterns that don’t use a single crochet.
I’m still going to finish it, if nothing else I’ll stick it on my 8 month old, or if it’s too tiny even for her, my two year old can put in on her doll.
______________
Day 12

Today I learned that once I get on a roll, I can slap together two party hats at once while I play with my children. But that much productivity means that something in my life has to be neglected, so thankfully it was my blog and not something that needed my attention in order to live.


The party hats look cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment