Friday, October 12, 2012

Time to Crochet! Day 4

“Yarning, yarning, over the open sea!”1 I sang to myself as I drove toward the craft store yesterday evening. Later on, after I got home, I was waving my arms around and telling my brother about the experience. He was just blinking at me, projecting a confused aura. “You what?” “We went yarning!” I said excitedly. “Is that...” he scratched his head. “When you go buy yarn or something?” I waved my arms around again. “I got a huge bag of yarn!” My brother gave me the look that I usually get when I’m going on and on about something-or-other about history or books or a video game which tells me that the person I’m talking at thinks that I’m a total nerd. So in response, I grinned like a crazy person.

There are two kinds of people in the world: those who like a bargain, and those who enjoy burning one hundred dollar bills with the lit end of their cigars. I am the former. I enjoy browsing through a yarn aisle, looking at strange fluffy yarn, soft yarn, coarse yarn, and yarn of every color you could imagine.


The problem is that most skeins of yarn are the size of your average Philly cheesesteak2 and cost anywhere from three to nine dollars. When I plan to go to a craft store to buy yarn, I cringe, because I know that I need the yarn, and that I’ll pay whatever the store demands, because I need it. (I don’t like to go yarning when I don’t need yarn, because at that point there’s no reason to spend the money.)


My favorite thing to find when I get to a craft store is a sale. When I got home last night, I had spent less than forty dollars, and they’d had to use one of those ultra-size bags to fit all of my purchases. I grabbed probably six skeins the size of a roll of paper towels for $2.79 apiece. I also got one that was larger for five bucks, and two that were fancy enough (though they were as big as dinner rolls) to warrant being $4.49.3


I am very excited about my ginormous4 bag of yarn. And if you’re still looking at me like I’m a yarn nerd, then I have a slightly unhinged person’s grin for you.

(Update on the piggy hat: still in the “FAIL” column.)


Edit: I have since discovered that today is (was) I Love Yarn Day! So happy (belated) yarn loving, everybody!


________
1 There is no body of water in Nebraska that could even come close to being considered a “sea.”
2 The spelling of which seems to be controversial
3 I don’t know about you, but I hate getting mugged by television personalities. Maybe Vanna’s yarn costs so much because she needs the money to buy a vowel. “OVERPR_CED”
4 “Ginormous” is not a word. At least not the last time I checked.C

No comments:

Post a Comment