Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Time to Crochet! Day 2

I know that yesterday I was all like, “dinosaur hat, dinosaur hat, dinosaur hat.” But I hit a snag (no yarn puns intended) shortly after I finished writing.


It was like not having food when I wanted to eat, not having a pen when I wanted to write, or not being able to get access to the internet when I wanted to check facebook.


I ran out of yarn.


I didn’t run out of yarn yarn. If that ever happened the crafter in me would probably shrivel into a tiny ball and die (I also have a stash of embroidery floss somewhere, just in case I really need to stave off crafter starvation). I ran out of the green yarn I was using for the dinosaur hat dinosaur hat dinosaur hat. I finished the top, started the tail, and came to the end of the skein. It looks like someone lopped off the tip of the tail, so currently, it resembles some kind of dinosaur mullet. Jurassic Period in the front, party in the back.


It was cool outside, I was wearing my robe over comfortable clothes, I was snuggled down on the couch. I was in a crocheting mood. There was no way I was going to stop.


Usually I don’t like to pause during a project to start a new one, because more often than not, the paused project never gets unpaused again.


But I’ve got plans for this dinosaur hat dinosaur hat dinosaur hat. I haven’t started making any “spikes” to add to it, and I don’t really have anything in my yarn box that I want to use to make said “spikes.” I really would like some nice purple yarn for them, so I’m going to have to go out and get some. Whether or not the tail was finished, there wasn’t any more I could do for my prehistoric mullet.


What I did have was a nice skein of off-white fuzzy Caron Simply Soft. And a pattern for a lamby hat. And now I am in possession of the aforementioned lamby hat.


Since I had taken so much time and frustration with figuring out how to do the half double crochet in the round, it was much easier to navigate this pattern, which was pretty much exactly the same thing. I zoomed along and was finished in a couple of hours, even with the normal interruptions by my children, asking for food or clothing or warmth or whatever.


Next project: piggy hat. Time to crochet!

No comments:

Post a Comment