Wednesday, October 24, 2012

First, But Not Annual

It has always annoyed me when any event is referred to as “first annual.” I guess there’s not a concise way to say “this is going to be a really good time and we are definitely planning to do it again next year and it’ll be a good time then too,” but “first annual” just seems a little presumptuous to me. How do you know the event will be such a success? What if no one shows up? What if you’ve failed to plan anything sufficiently entertaining for those that do? What if the things you’ve planned to entertain the people who do show up aren’t actually entertaining at all? “First Annual ‘I’m Totally Not Going to Show Up at This Boring Event Next Year’ Fest.”


Another thing that totally baffles me is people who are completely consumed with hiding their age. I understand that it’s very flattering when someone mistakes your age and thinks you’re much younger than you actually are, and I understand that everyone has days when they feel terribly old, no matter how long they’ve been around. The point of confusion comes in those people who make a big deal out of refusing to admit their age, or answering the question with the incredibly idiotic, “I’m 29, tee hee!”
I think it might be just a female thing. It’s not that I mean to be sexist, it’s that the one man I’m guaranteed to see every day has occasionally had to ask me, “How old are we, again?” He’s not going to be celebrating his 29th birthday again next year. Unless he forgets it’s his 30th.


When I was a kid, I would gaze off into the future, trying to decide when I would be old. The age milestone changed as I (and the people around me) grew, because those I knew who were reaching these “old” ages didn’t seem to be any older to me. I had to grow old enough to acquire the knowledge that one trades youth for experience over the years. And given the chance, my 29 year old self would slap my 19 year old self, so I would say that I would rather have experience and age than inexperience and youth.


I’m sure I’ll feel similarly about my 29 year old self when I’m closer to 40, so why would I want people to think that I’m less experienced just so that they’ll think I’m young?


Today is my 29th birthday. It’s definitely not my “First Annual 29th Birthday.” There’s nothing I can do about getting older, so I might as well enjoy the new experiences and wisdom that comes with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment