Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Autumnal Darkness

How do I know it’s fall?
It’s dark.
During the summer I don’t use the lights in my house until late in the evening: 7, 8 pm sometimes. I can get away with leaving the blinds down, there’s no need to open them when there’s plenty of light to see by just filtering through them (also, by not letting in that light, it keeps the house cooler).
This morning my husband turned on the light above the sink in the kitchen because there wasn’t enough light outside to let him see the coffee he was making. I had to turn the brightness on the laptop screen down to the lowest setting after I opened the curtains to let in as much light from outside as possible, because the screen was still too bright.
For some people it’s back to school, leaves changing color and falling, or cooler weather. I finished school, and my kids haven’t started yet. The trees outside my house have green leaves fluttering in the wind. And I don’t trust the forecast when it says it’s going to be 90 degrees tomorrow.
It’s dark.
It’s fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment