Friday, March 15, 2013

Bag Count: 9


People who play guitar get used to having calluses on their fingers. If you take a break from playing for a few months and then go back to it, you’re going to notice some pain that wasn’t there before.
My fingers hurt; I haven’t picked up a crochet hook for a long time.
The reusable grocery bag made from recycled plastic grocery bags that I’m working on looks pretty good so far.
I’m not quite done with the bottom of it yet, but I hope to start on the sides soon. I am also still deliberating (with myself and other people) about what to do for the straps. I’m concerned that if I make a completely different piece(s) for the handle, they won’t be sturdy enough when I attach them. I’m continuing to consider different options.
The major drawback to it is the amount of work I have to do to turn the bags into “plarn.” It doesn’t seem like cutting up a plastic bag would be a lot of work, and it isn’t, but the problem is that one bag will only last me about two and a half rows. If I don’t want to stop working every ten minutes and cut up another bag, I have to cut a bunch in advance. Cutting eight or so bags in one marathon session will last me quite a while (depending on how fast I’m working), but it really tires me out. I’ve found that trying to roll plarn into a ball like yarn doesn’t really work; I’ve been taping one end to a pencil and spooling it flat, so I can crunch it up to crochet with when I’m ready for it.
After a couple of days of working on it, my fingers get their calluses back, and I can work as quickly as I used to without whining.

Bag Count: 9



No comments:

Post a Comment